Hello there! I hope y’all are having a great week so far. Today, I am sharing 20 Free Things to Do with kids in Houston! We love getting out and doing things as a family. There are so many options in Houston are so I thought I’d share some FREE options with y’all.
1. There are so many things to do in Hermann Park! You can go to the Miller Outdoor Theater, pack a picnic or just play at one of the many play areas. We love to watch the birds and ducks by the water too. You can make a whole day of it at this park.
2. Discovery Green is another great park in Houston. They have art exhibits that change regularly and events going on all the time and tons of restaurants near by.
Houston Arboretum + Nature Center
3. This is a great place to go and explore nature without having to drive hours away. They have free exhibits and trails you can go walk around the property.
Houston Ship Channel
4. This is a really fun one! The Port of Houston offers free 90 minute boat tours of the Houston Ship Channel called the Sam Houston Boat Tour. You can make reservations online here!
Houston Museum District
5. On Thursdays 5 Houston museums offer free admission! They are the Museum of Natural Science, The Fine Arts Museum, The Health Museum, The Weather Museum, and The Children’s Museum. This is such an easy way to get your kids out and about and also learn a lot!
Fire Station Tour
6. You will have to check with your local fire station but a lot of them offer free tours or do open house nights! We take donuts to our local fire station and the boys love going up there for a visit!
7. Galveston has a ton of of public beaches you can spend the day at! Pack up the kids in the car with lunch and some toys and head out to the beach for the day! Don’t forget to bring the sunscreen!
Galveston + Bolivar Ferry
8. Riding the ferry is free on Galveston Island! You may have to wait in line for a bit but the ride is about 20 minutes long and there are several areas on the boat that you can look at over the water and a lot of the time you will see dolphins!
Take a Free Kids Class
9. There are a ton of places that offer free classes or events for kids! Home Depot, Lowes, The Apple Store and The Disney Store are just a few! Check out the places nearest to you to find out a schedule!
10. The Houston Zoo offers free admission on the first Tuesday of every month from September to May! You can spend hours at the Zoo so this is a great place to take kids for the day.
Waugh Drive Bat Colony
11. The Waugh Bridge has a colony of bats living underneath it and at sunset they take flight! This is such a cool thing to experience and see. It is in the evening so it may be easier to do it on a weekend end and there is a second colony at the Watonga Bridge in Northwest Houston.
Art Car Museum
12. The Art Car Parade is a huge event in Houston, but did you know there is an art car museum that is open to the public in the Heights? They have exhibits that you can go and see as well as cars.
Houston Police Department Stable
13. The Houston Police Department regularly uses horses at events around town! They have a stable where you can go and visit these horses. You may bring apples, carrots, and/or peppermint candy to feed the horses.
Houston Public Library
14. There are several public libraries in Houston so you could go and visit the one closest to you. They host events and exhibits that you can go and check out and they are inside so you can get out of of the crazy Houston weather that is bound to happen.
15. Houston CityCentre is not only for great shopping but it hosts events all year. It is a fun place to hang out and walk around. Check out their website for a calendar of events from night time movies to their annual doggy party!
16. The Water Wall is such an amazing thing to just go and look at and hang out around. It is located near the galleria. This is another place you could pack a lunch for and have a picnic. It is also a great place to have photos taken.
17. Houston has over 20 different splash pads around the city. Most of them are open all year round but once it starts to get closer to summer these are going to be a great place to take your kids! They are usually in a park so they can run around and place for hours.
Market Square Park
18. This park is like Discovery Green, it has tons of events and space for kids to run around and play. It is such a cute spot and they offer movies and concerts that you can attend.
Houston Fire Museum
19. The Houston Fire Museum is also a part of the free admission Thursdays. They also offer a Saturday Free Play day on the second Saturday every month. The fire station play center is open and kids get free admission to the museum.
Jamail Skate Park
20. This one is more for older kids, but I know my boys would love to go and watch everyone skating. It is located in Eleanor Tinsley Park so you could spend some time there and then go explore the park!
Hope y’all enjoyed this blog post! I’d love to know what some of your favorite thing to do with kids for free??